Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012 is now a memory. All the planning, prepping, stressing, and wrapping are done. Whew. As I have gotten older the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas has gotten shorter, somehow and I believe Thanksgiving was actually early this year.

There is one word that wraps things up nicely for me, been with me my whole life and my Mom claims she has nothing to do with this word...Procrastination! We, us kids, get it from our father and she would be right. No matter how hard I try at times I never seem to finish anything until the very last minute. It wasn't until Dec. 1 or after that I decided to make many of my Christmas presents. Some of them didn't even get finished and so a gift was purchased but for those who did get something I made it was a pleasure to make them. Now if my computer wasn't being stupid today I would have great pictures to show you of the things I made. So, until my husband can solve my computer issue this will be a photo-less post.

My youngest nephew is four and a big fan of Star Wars, so in my searching with Google I found these cute little Star Wars finger puppets. Click here to see their cuteness. I also made him a pillow, here, it is a shield, and I found some monkey fabric and some contrasting fabrics for the other two parts. It turned out very cute and I still know how to sew. I needed my mom to set up the sewing machine as I didn't know how to get to zig-zag from straight stitch but I did okay. Considering I had to make my own pattern, it was a little haphazard but in the end I was pleased with the results.

I also knitted a scarf for my niece, who is 12, of which I didn't take a photo nor of my joke of a gift for my older brother. Being a Dr. Who fan and turning me into one I decided since I now own a stash of felt from my Star Wars gift I decided to make him a felt sonic screwdriver. Similar to this one here, but you can't have sonic screwdriver without a TARDIS, so I made that too but in the form of  knitted dishcloth, here. If you don't know about Dr. Who I highly recommend watching it, find it on Netflix but start with Season 1, 2005. Trust me you will think I am nuts but after a few episodes you just can't help yourself.

Anyway back to Christmas 2012 it was really great. We celebrated with my family over the weekend and had a great time. Food, fun, gifts, and most importantly sledding! It took all I had not to sit myself down on that red plastic sled and fly down the hill but I thought better of it and so I watched the kids fly down the hill and climb back up, time after time. I got tired just watching them climb the hill especially the littlest, four-year-old Kai. Those little legs got tired but he kept at it. I loved watching him and my older nephew, ten-year-old Cooper, go down in the sled together. Cooper was the pilot sitting up right facing forward with his legs outstretched using his arms as his turning force and Kai, face down stretched out in Coop's lap as they flew down the hill. Apparently he didn't want snow in his face. It was so cute and comical, I only wished I would have snapped a picture.

It was such a joy to watch the kids, and to be able to walk back up the hill myself only having to rest because my thigh muscles felt like they were going to  explode but my lungs did just fine.

These are the moments that life is about, watching kids having fun, great conversation and time spent with siblings and loved ones. Even though the gifts are fun to give whether made or purchased. It all comes down to love, family and friends. Those who surround us make our life beautiful and each of those moments spent with them is the greatest gift to receive.


No comments:

Post a Comment