Monday, March 21, 2011

Family Photo History

I had a great day today. I spent a couple hours with my Mom, which was great in itself, going through all my photos I had taken throughout my life. Firstly, I should say that actual printed photos are so nice to look at, now a days everything is stuck on a computer. Secondly, the nice thing about digital photos is once you snap a bad photo you can immediately delete it and not waste your money on printing a whole roll of bad film. Also noteworthy, doubles are a waste of money unless you honestly plan to give a duplicate to someone else, in that case might I suggest just have more made from the negatives.

I also just really enjoyed walking down memory lane and as simple as this may sound, our family really had a good time. Photos are a great reminder of all the great things you did as a family, or the things that consumed everyday life, the things once loved, the people once loved that are no longer with us. Photos of events and celebrations that brought us together or took us on journeys to new places.

There were many photos from vacations that I decided were redundant and frankly generic, since pine trees and rivers exist so many places that who is going to know what exactly they are looking at but me, and in some cases that might be okay - if the place was really that special, but if it were that special I wouldn't need a picture to remind me. Las Vegas with Tracey was awesome, but I took way to many pictures and in the end only kept the ones of her and/or me, she mattered, not the hotels.

It didn't make me teary or sad, just nostalgic and kind of wish we could retrace these steps in life back to a time that I felt was easy and comfortable. But that transition happens from kid to adult and responsibilities change and new family members are gained and children are born once again to look back at their life some day and be nostalgic for their childhood.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed my youth, I couldn't have asked for anything more. My parents gave us all that they could but without spoiling us, and they taught us the value of being good people and treating others well. They gave us a chance to experience life and try new things. The last 33 years have flown by and I can't begin to tell you all the good things that happened but if you asked me my favorite memory I would have to say they are all my favorite and each has it's own special place in my heart.

Family is what makes my history a joy to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment