Sunday, January 8, 2012

Minnesota Winter...Really!

What a way to start a new year with temps that are way beyond beautiful. Today we went to Quarry Hill for some outdoor recreation time, we were actually muddy, well the shoes were and it was fabulous. I am sure somewhere along the line the weather will pay us back, like a mid-July cold snap or something, and I will do my best to not complain when winter actually does arrive apparently later this week.

I was given the okay this week to do two things I haven't done in months, drive and work. Guess which one I am most excited about? I am not going to say, but I will say I am a little nervous about driving, that is a big responsibility and lucky for me neither of our cars is automatic so my legs need to be more ready than anything and I think they are. I wish there would have been some way to track my progress with my legs and muscles along the way. The first time I tried to walk stairs with rehab in the hospital was about ten days after my transplant and I thought I would walk right up, I was wrong and instead I nearly fell flat on my face. Fast forward ten weeks and I walk up from the basement 16 steps without too much thought. I can now get off the floor without too much effort and I can stand on one foot and put on my socks. These simple things we all take for granted are very monumental when at one point they couldn't be done.

Work is a different story. I made a promise to myself that when I go back to work I will take the stairs, I work on the third floor and haven't taken the stairs in years. But I look forward to the challenge. I however am not looking forward to packing my lunch. It's at times like lunch time I wish we had a cafeteria.

We shall see what this week brings. I'll let you know how my first drive goes, probably fall on the first day of snow. I almost forgot my baby got new tires on last winter and she's waiting for me to get back out and give a good burn...or just a leisurely drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment